Right here’s the state of affairs: you’re typing a report for work, and also you all of the sudden have to jot down the phrase “Jones née Berkowitz.” Or you might be including a phrase in Spanish and want to make use of the phrase “años.” How do you add the particular characters to the letters?
Particular characters (also referred to as diacritical marks) could also be extra widespread in sure languages, however there are many circumstances during which English audio system might have to make use of them. However as a result of they’re so uncommon in English, native English audio system could not have discovered easy methods to add these marks to paperwork, emails, or different writings. It’s not tough so as to add them to your Home windows doc, though it’s not fairly as easy an operation as on a Mac, the place all it’s a must to do is maintain the suitable key down. (In actual fact, as soon as upon a time, you’d have needed to lookup the image character codes…)
Use the contact keyboard
The best means so as to add diacritical marks to a doc is to allow the Home windows contact keyboard. (Due to Ed Bott from ZDNet for first main me to this methodology.) The contact keyboard routinely seems in case you’re utilizing a Home windows pill or in case you’re utilizing a PC in pill mode. In the event you don’t have a touchscreen, you should utilize the keyboard icon that seems within the taskbar, on the proper facet close to the date. Don’t see it? That is the way you get it:
- Proper-click on the taskbar
- Click on on “Show touch keyboard button”
Now, whenever you wish to use a particular character:
- Click on on the contact keyboard icon
- The contact keyboard will seem. Lengthy press (along with your mouse button or, in case you have a touchscreen, your finger) on the letter you wish to use
- You’ll now see a number of additional keys displaying the methods you possibly can kind that letter with totally different symbols. Choose the one you need, and it’ll seem in your doc.
- If you wish to enter an emoji, click on on the emoji key (on the left of the “space bar”)
Use the emoji keyboard
One other keyboard that you could entry and might allow you to simply add particular characters to your textual content is Home windows’ emoji keyboard. Sure, it’s primarily for including emojis to your textual content, however it’s obtained different makes use of as properly. And it’s easy to make use of:
- Maintain down the Home windows key (the one with the Home windows image on it) and hit the interval key
- The emoji keyboard will pop up, displaying quite a lot of emojis. Click on on the symbols tab on prime (the third from the left).
- Use the menu on the underside line to pick out the kind of image you’re searching for (in case you’re searching for characters to make use of inside textual content, you’ll most likely wish to choose this one: Ç). Then scroll down till you discover the character you need.
Use the character map
In the event you’d prefer to attempt a extra old school methodology of including particular characters to Home windows, you should utilize the character map, which is a much less polished and extra sophisticated model of the contact keyboard however gives an analogous service.
To entry it in your Home windows 10 system:
- Sort “character” in your search area after which choose the Character Map app
- You’ll get a pop-up map displaying a bunch of particular characters for a particular font. You may change the font by clicking on the drop-down font menu on the prime.
- Click on on the letter(s) or particular characters that you simply wish to use in your doc after which click on on the “Select” button. They’ll seem within the “Characters to copy” area.
- When you’ve chosen all of the characters you need, click on on the “Copy” button after which paste the character(s) into your doc
Use the US Worldwide Keyboard
In the event you’re an English speaker who’s multilingual and makes use of particular characters lots, you might wish to attempt the US Worldwide Keyboard, which maps your keyboard to extra simply help you add particular characters. (Due to “shiroledat” for the tip.)
First, it’s essential to add the US Worldwide Keyboard to Home windows:
- Go to Settings > Time & Language > Language
- Search for “Preferred languages” and (assuming you’re an English speaker within the US) click on on “English (United States).” Then click on on “Options.”
- Search for the “Keyboards” part, which (in case you’ve by no means been there earlier than) will most likely solely include a single keyboard icon labeled “US / QWERTY.” That’s the keyboard map you’re now utilizing. Click on on “Add a keyboard” simply above it.
- Within the pop-up menu that seems, scroll to “United States-International / QWERTY” and click on on it
Now you at all times have the selection of utilizing both the usual US keyboard or the US Worldwide Keyboard. You may see which one is lively within the lower-right facet of your taskbar, close to the date. It should both learn “ENG / US” or “ENG / INTL.” You may click on on that to change from one to the opposite, or simply hit Home windows key+house bar.
The US Worldwide Keyboard provides you two methods so as to add a particular character:
- Use the right-hand Alt key together with the suitable letter to get one of many extra widespread combos. For instance, Alt+e will end in: é
- Press the image you wish to use after which the letter you wish to use it with. For instance, in case you first press the ~ image after which the “n” key, you’ll get: ñ
Washington State College has published a useful chart displaying all the symbols you may get utilizing the US Worldwide Keyboard.
Use the Unicode worth
In the event you have a look at the decrease right-hand nook of the character map after you’ve chosen a letter or particular character, you’ll see the phrase “Keystroke” adopted by “Alt” and a four-digit quantity. This quantity represents the Unicode value of the image, and it’s the time-honored customary for including characters.
In the event you use a couple of particular characters constantly, it may be sooner to easily add the character you need utilizing your keyboard. There are a number of methods to do that; listed here are two of the best (every of which has its limitations):
- Press the Alt key after which kind the four-digit Unicode worth. For this to work, it’s essential to have a separate quantity pad in your keyboard, and the NumLock key must be enabled.
- In the event you’re working with Microsoft Phrase, WordPad, Outlook, or one other Microsoft app, you possibly can kind within the Unicode worth after which kind Alt-X
- It’s also possible to press the Management key plus a logo, after which the letter you wish to accent. For instance, Ctrl+’ and “e” will end in “é” — assuming you’re in a Microsoft app.
Replace March 26th, 10:50AM ET: This text has been up to date so as to add a piece on utilizing the Unicode values and the emoji keyboard.
Replace March 30th, 11:15AM ET: Up to date so as to add one other means so as to add particular characters inside Microsoft apps.
Replace April 1st, 9:45AM ET: Up to date so as to add info on the US Worldwide Keyboard.