In our present setting, organizations are more and more wanting in the direction of digital options to have interaction their clients and stay aggressive. They’re discovering that their clients’ wants could be greatest met via differentiated, digital experiences delivered by cloud-native purposes.
When constructing a brand new utility, one of the crucial necessary choices to make is the place to retailer the appliance knowledge. We see great curiosity in Azure Database for PostgreSQL in terms of storing relational knowledge within the cloud for mission-critical purposes. Right here’s why:
Why Azure Database for PostgreSQL?
- 100 % open supply.
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL is constructed on group version Postgres, with open extension help so you’ll be able to leverage invaluable PostgreSQL options, together with JSONB, geospatial help, and wealthy indexing.
- Our Postgres group at Microsoft is dedicated to nurturing a tradition of contributing to and collaborating with the Postgres group, and we’re excited to welcome Postgres committers to the group. These committers assessment submitted code for Postgres, “commit” it into the supply code repository, and work with different contributors to check, refine, and ultimately incorporate it into the following Postgres construct. In future blogs, they’ll share what they’re engaged on in terms of new variations of Postgres and updates to the Citus open source extension.
- Totally managed.
- Utilizing a managed Postgres database service on Azure makes your job easier and lets you focus in your utility, by automating time- and cost-intensive duties like configuring and managing high-availability, catastrophe restoration, backups, and knowledge replication throughout areas.
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL has enterprise-grade safety and compliance capabilities, reminiscent of Azure Advanced Threat Protection, and supplies custom-made performance recommendations, making it appropriate on your most mission-critical purposes.
- Excessive-performance horizontal scaling.
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL Hyperscale (Citus) scales out horizontally to a whole bunch of nodes, with no utility rewrites, so you’ll be able to simply construct extremely scalable purposes. That is carried out utilizing the Citus open source Postgres extension that intelligently and transparently distributes your knowledge and queries throughout a number of nodes to realize huge parallelism, together with a a lot larger compute, reminiscence, and disk footprint.
- In future blogs, we’ll dive deeper into key use instances for Hyperscale (Citus) and share how organizations are constructing highly effective purposes utilizing these capabilities. Hyperscale (Citus) allows organizations to scale multi-tenant SaaS purposes, construct excessive throughput transactional purposes, and extra.
Key issues for working fashionable enterprise purposes on Postgres
Should you’re new to the world of Postgres and wish to perceive whether or not it’s a very good match for constructing your enterprise purposes, take a look at our new whitepaper, Running Enterprise Applications on PostgreSQL, to study:
- Advantages of utilizing Postgres for contemporary, mission-critical purposes, and issues round efficiency, scalability, safety, and extra.
- Postgres’ extensible design that lets you future-proof your purposes.
- Postgres capabilities that empower builders to work extra productively.
Saying our Postgres weblog collection
We’re right here that can assist you at each stage of your journey with Azure Database for PostgreSQL, and will probably be retaining you updated with common posts each right here and on our Azure Database for PostgreSQL blog. We’ll be sharing:
- Insights and updates straight from Postgres committers Thomas Munro, Jeff Davis, Andres Freund, and David Rowley—you’ll be able to learn the primary submit within the collection, How to securely authenticate with SCRAM in Postgres 13, now.
- Key buyer use instances, tales, and architectures.
- Sources and greatest practices that can assist you develop progressive purposes to unravel enterprise challenges.
Whether or not you’re new to Postgres, new to Azure, or are already utilizing Azure Database for PostgreSQL to energy your enterprise purposes, we sit up for supporting your utility growth journey.
Keep tuned for future blogs right here and subscribe to our Azure Database for PostgreSQL blog.
Study extra about Azure Database for PostgreSQL.